Friday, March 14, 2008

FACING THE CROSS PT. 1

FACING THE CROSS ....New Living Translation Passage Jeremiah 29:11For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. King James Version Passage Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Amplified Bible Passage Romans 11:29For God's gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call.] New Living Translation Passage Psalm 37:23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly.He delights in every detail of their lives. King James Version Passage Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. We all have been gifted and called to a destiny unique to each of us. If we or our gifts don’t seem to fit, then we are either out of step or in the wrong place. If that is the case we need to seek God’s wisdom and direction in our lives and get back on track. I have a joke that uses animals to illustrate this the difference being animals are in the wrong places many times because of men, and they can't do anything about their situation.. Camel Joke A mother and a baby camel are talking one day when the baby camel asks, " Mom , why have I got these three-toed feet?" The mother replies,"Well, son, when we trek across the desert your toes will help you to stay on top of the soft sand." "Ok,"said the son. A few minutes later the son asks, "Mom, why have I got these great long eyelashes?" " They are to keep the sand out of your eyes on those trips through the desert." "Thanks, Mom" replies the son. After a short while, the son returns and asks, "Mom, why have I got these great big humps on my back?" The Mother, now a little impatient with the boy, replies,"They are there to help us store fat for our long treks across the desert, so we can go without water for long periods." "That’s great , Mom. So we have huge feet to stop us from sinking, and long eyelashes to keep sand from our eyes, and these humps to store water, but Mom.." "Yes, son?" "Why are we in the San Diego zoo?" Sometimes we are like those camels. We are in the wrong place for the gifts and call on our lives. Not much the camels could do about it, however we can do something about our situation. Jesus came into this world gifted and called. His steps were ordered of the Lord. He had a race to run, goals to reach, before he went back to heaven, and on to his other ministries. He had many things to teach, reveal, and fulfill. The Last Supper was one of these steps in His race towards the Cross. There are four gospels. Not every event was recorded in all four. The events that are recorded in more than one will give us different views of the same event through the eyes of the recorder. Different things will stand out to each individual and they will record those things. The Last Supper was one of those events, which was recorded in all four gospels. We will never know, this side of heaven, what all took place that night, at that supper. This was the last time Jesus would have all the disciples together with him before the cross. Jesus had many things to teach and reveal to them that evening. Each writer speaks of the bread and the wine representing the broken body and blood of Jesus except John, however he recorded much more of what Jesus said that night, that the others did not record.. Many things took place that night and each writer also spoke of things that stood out to them. Just as tonight each of you here in this room will have different things which stand out to you. Same event seen through many different eyes and heard through many different ears. When we listen to and read about the event through many different people, we get a more rounded view of what took place. Let’s look at the night through the eyes, ears, and writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Jesus was teaching, revealing, and fulfilling scripture. Passage Matthew 26:17-54: 17Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover? 18And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. 19And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. 20Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. 21And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. 22And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? 23And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. 24The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. 25Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said. 26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. 30And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives. [ Matthew notes that they sang a hymn before they left to go to the mount of olives] 31Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. 32But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee. 33Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. 34Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. [ Jesus gave a word to them about how all of them would be offended because of Him.] 50. And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus and took him. 51. And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. 52. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. 53. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? 54. But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? [ also one of them sliced off the ear of the High Priest’s servant. And Jesus reveals that all of heaven is at His call. And that if he would make that call twelve legions of angels would come and defend him, however the scripture would go unfulfilled. So it must be so that He go to and through the cross.] ( These are some of the things that stood out to Matthew ) Passage Mark 14:15-31.47 (KJV.) 15. And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us. 16. And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. 17. And in the evening he cometh with the twelve. 18. And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me. 19. And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I? 20. And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish. 21. The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born. 22. And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. 23. And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. 24. And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. 25. Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. 26. And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives. 27. And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. 28. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. 29. But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. 30. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. 31. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all. 47. And one of them that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear. [ MARK pretty much follows Matthews account. ] Passage Luke 22:15-32: 15. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16. For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: 18. For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. 19. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. 21. But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table. 22. And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto that man by whom he is betrayed! 23. And they began to enquire among themselves, which of them it was that should do this thing. (24. And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.) [ Luke picks up on some strife among the disciples as to which of them should be accounted the greatest] (25. And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. 26. But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. 27. For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.) [Jesus explained how Kings of the gentiles exercise lordship. How they exercise authority over the people. How it’s not to be so in the kingdom of God. The the Chief should be the servant.] 28. Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. 29And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; 30. That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (31. And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32. But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.) [ Luke gives us some more of what Jesus spoke to Peter that night,which Matthew left out.](51. And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.) [Luke noticed that Jesus healed the servants ear that one of them cut off. He noticed the miracle of the healing Jesus worked. Matthew and Mark noticed the cutting off of the ear. Luke noticed the healing of the ear by Jesus.]

No comments: